Saturday, November 9, 2013

Be a Word-Conscious Teacher

As a child, I remember sitting on my mom's lap on a Sunday afternoon while she worked on the crossword puzzle (always in pen) in the local paper.  Anytime she got stuck on a word, she'd ask me to grab the dictionary and help her.  Not only did I learn how to use a dictionary, but I increased my vocabulary in a fun way.  Even to this day, I still enjoy doing crossword puzzles.  I was lucky to have been brought up in a family that encouraged vocabulary learning, however, I know that many of my future students will not have an extensive vocabulary due to different home environments.  So how can I provide vocabulary instruction and help close the gap between students? Blachowicz and Fisher (2004) suggest four ways to teach vocabulary.

1.) Develop word awareness and love of words through word play.
Modeling vocabulary is one of the best ways teachers can introduce vocabulary. Through this method, even students as young as kindergartners can become comfortable using words highly above their level (Lane & Allen, 2010).  Teachers should also use activities that motivate students and make learning new words fun.  Below is a rather lengthy video, but it provides an example of a really creative idea!  Have students put on a vocabulary parade!  They research words, create a costume, definition, and sentence using the word, and then put on a parade for the school.

2.) Deliver explicit, rich instruction to develop important vocabulary.
Teachers should select important words, teach definitional, contextual, and usage information about the words, connect them to their previous knowledge, have students use them, and revisit them through activities such as games and writing.

3.) Build strategies for independence.
Just as my mom taught me how to use a dictionary, I should teach my students how to do the same.  In the world of technology, Dalton & Grisham (2011) suggest using online dictionaries.  Many are made for use by kids like Enchanted Learning's picture dictionary.  I like that this site is easy enough for young students to be able to look up words all on their own, and I believe students will learn much more if they discover answers to their questions all on their own.  I wonder, though, what other strategies students can use independently?

4.) Engage students actively with a wide range of books.
The internet can be a great tool to use in addition to book clubs, independent reading, and library time. Teachers can provide their students with a range of informational texts through several websites suggested by Daltonn & Grisham (2011) such as Time for Kids and Science News for Kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment