Monday, November 25, 2013

Striving for Excellence

Source
When many people (non-teachers) talk to me about teaching, they often believe it's as simple as following the provided teaching manuals for each subject.  It is so much more than that, though, especially when it comes to teaching reading.  Reading is such a dynamic process, and I feel there is so much more I can do as a teacher to provide the best instruction possible.  Pinnell (2006) and the International Reading Association (2000) both agree on many of the most important steps teachers should take in the classroom in order to become excellent reading teachers.  They believe reading teachers should understand reading development, read aloud daily, implement word study, continually assess student progress using several methods, alter teaching methods and groupings when needed, gain additional professional development, create community, and enjoy reading and writing with students.  In addition, the International Reading Association says that excellent teachers need to be able to combine instructional methods and understand how to scaffold instruction. 

This isn't the first time I've heard these suggestions, because these steps really embody what we've discussed during class throughout the semester.  I've learned how to address each component of reading, ways to motivate my future students, methods of instruction, and methods of assessing.  I've also come to understand that in order to improve students' reading, my instruction needs to be as dynamic as the process of learning to read itself.  Reading has always been such a big part of my life, and I want to be able to share that enjoyment with my students.  I want to make a difference, like most teachers; by using these ideas to guide my teaching, I believe teaching reading might just be one way I can.   

     

No comments:

Post a Comment